Happy Valentine’s Day Morkie fans! A couple of reminders for the day to keep your Morkie safe….
Chocolate can literally kill your Morkie!
It’s the Theobromine in chocolate that can poison your Morkie. The darker the chocolate, the more deadly. Just a single square of Baker’s Chocolate can be enough to cause serious illness and even death, according to Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine.
Typical early symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, bloated stomach and restlessness. This usually happens 1 to 4 hours after the dog has eaten chocolate. Without treatment, seizures and muscle spasms follow, then cardiac failure (coma) and death. If you suspect your Morkie has had chocolate, get him to the Vet or emergency clinic right away.
Dogs can’t eat candy
Morkies are sweet enough! Even if the candy doesn’t have chocolate in it, high levels of sugar can send your Morkie into a mild diabetic coma. Plus, getting him used to sweet treats sets the stage for annoying begging, tooth decay and overweight. Remember, no Porkie Morkies 🙂
Artificial sweetener can be deadly for dogs
Xylitol is a next-generation sweetener that is in a lot of foods and treats. And it’s very toxic for pets. Although Xylitol is found naturally in berries, plums, etc. even small amounts of Xylitol in the manufactured form, can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or death in dogs.
6 more things that can make your Morkie very sick
- alcohol of any kind – wine, beer, liquor
- grapes and raisins – experts don’t really know why, just that only a couple of grapes or raisins can lead to seizures, coma and death
- Macadamia nuts can bring on vomiting, tremors, joint pain and diarrhea. They’re extremely toxic for dogs.
- Garlic and onions are surprisingly toxic to dogs and cats. That’s because they contain chemicals that damage red blood cells in some animals, to the point where the cells can’t carry oxygen throughout the body. Cooking these foods does not make them any safer.
- Avocado, especially the pit, will bring on severe diarrhea and vomiting in your Morkie.
- Cellophane, ribbons and glittery stuff that chocolates and gifts are wrapped in, can get lodged in your dog’s intestine, making expensive emergency surgery necessary to save his life. Keep all wrappings out of harm’s way.
The short answer is No, and here’s why.
Ethical breeding isn’t a hobby. People who work hard to breed purebred dogs, or in this case, cross breeds of two purebreds, have invested a lot of learning, money and effort into what they do. And once the puppies are born, can you devote at least 8 solid weeks to the puppies’ care, night and day? Do you have buyers for the pups? Dog breeding is very complex, and it can be very expensive too.
Over population. There are waaaaay too many dogs and puppies in shelters… adding your own litter means fewer of those dogs have a chance.
The ASPCA estimates that in U.S. Animal Shelters alone, 3 to 4 million dogs and cats are euthanized every year, simply because there’s no room for them. That’s more than 7 pets every minute, every day.
Your pet should be spayed or neutered for health’s sake.
Females that haven’t been spayed have a 25% greater chance of dying of cancer. Females that haven’t been spayed can quickly develop Pyometra, a deadly uterine infection. (http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/)
Male dogs who have been neutered live, on average, 40% longer. Plus they can’t of course, get testicular cancer.
“But I want my kids to see the miracle of birth.”
Sure, the birth part is a miracle. But what about the life after birth? If the puppies don’t land in a good home, or if you sell them to people you don’t know and have not screened, then that’s a hard lesson learned for the dogs. And it might even teach kids that life is cheap. There are lots of great videos on birth and some shelters have live webcams of birthing.
This sums it up.
More than one recent study has documented, beyond a doubt, that owning a dog can help:
- reduce stress
- improve your enjoyment of life
- encourage an active lifestyle by promoting more exercise
- improve depression
- lower blood pressure
- and more
But there’s lots more: dogs are even trained to detect oncoming epileptic seizures and diabetic shock.
Getting an epilepsy-predicting dog is a reality
There are special service dogs trained to predict an epileptic seizure. They can alert the person by barking, or send an alarm to a caregiver. These dogs have also been trained to:
- lie next to someone having a seizure to prevent injury.
- put their body between the seizing individual and the floor to break the fall at the start of a seizure.
- fetch medication
(Approximately 65 million people around the world have epilepsy.)
Called Seizure Dogs, they’re a tremendous resource for anyone who lives wondering when the next attack might come. For children especially, a Seizure Dog can protect them from injuries, such as falling, and also give kids the confidence to llive with the daily struggle of epilepsy.
Even more amazing is the fact that many people report that their family dog already predicts and protects people in his family — with no formal training!
Joretta has had epilepsy since she was fourteen and utilizes Atco as her seizure alert dog. She has violent, partial complex seizures at least once or twice a week and needs assistance from a family member at those times. When Joretta had a seizure during her first days of team training, it was Atco’s body laying over her that kept her lying down and safe. Now, when Joretta has a seizure, Atco pushes the ‘life alert’ button which notifies her partner, who works seven miles away. Atco also provides balance and stability when Joretta is feeling weak.
How do dogs do it?
Gregory Holmes, a neurologist at Dartmouth Medical School in New Hampshire, says the dogs could be detecting a change in smell.
“People have autonomic changes, such as increased sweating, which a dog could pick up on.”
According to Douglas Nordli, director of the children’s epilepsy center at Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago, such external changes could result from a small electrical discharge that occurs in the brain before the full blown electrical seizure. (New Scientist Journal)
The DAD or diabetes alert dog
Other specially trained, medical alert assistance dogs, can alert their owners to an oncoming diabetic episode of low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia. They seem to smell the change in the person’s breath, as a result of the dangerously low sugar levels in the blood, and alert the owner. The diabetic can take action before he becomes shaky, confused, disoriented – or even passes out.
Rocket the poodle brings a diabetes emergency kit to his owner Annegret Pross in Margetshoechheim, Germany, on March 17, 2015.
The dog’s unique sense of smell
Besides alerting a medical condition, dogs have been used for many years in law enforcement, sniffing out bombs and other explosive devices, missing people, drugs and even the dead. These seeming miracles can be explained because of the dog’s unique sense of smell.
Estimated to be at least 40 times greater than the human sense of smell, dogs have a super STRONG sense, plus the smells remain ‘separate’ for them. So where a person walks into a home and smells stew, a dog smells each and every ingredient, separately.
Where we have about 6 million olfactory receptors in our nose, dogs have 300 million!
So the diabetic-episode-alerting-dog can smell out a volatile chemical compound that diabetics release just before an attack, even though scientists themselves have not yet been able to identify that exact compound!
James Walker, former director of the Sensory Research Institute at Florida State University, www.pbs.org