Happy Valentine’s Day Morkie fans! A couple of reminders for the day to keep your Morkie safe….
Chocolate can literally kill your Morkie!
It’s the Theobromine in chocolate that can poison your Morkie. The darker the chocolate, the more deadly. Just a single square of Baker’s Chocolate can be enough to cause serious illness and even death, according to Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine.
Typical early symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, bloated stomach and restlessness. This usually happens 1 to 4 hours after the dog has eaten chocolate. Without treatment, seizures and muscle spasms follow, then cardiac failure (coma) and death. If you suspect your Morkie has had chocolate, get him to the Vet or emergency clinic right away.
Dogs can’t eat candy
Morkies are sweet enough! Even if the candy doesn’t have chocolate in it, high levels of sugar can send your Morkie into a mild diabetic coma. Plus, getting him used to sweet treats sets the stage for annoying begging, tooth decay and overweight. Remember, no Porkie Morkies 🙂
Artificial sweetener can be deadly for dogs
Xylitol is a next-generation sweetener that is in a lot of foods and treats. And it’s very toxic for pets. Although Xylitol is found naturally in berries, plums, etc. even small amounts of Xylitol in the manufactured form, can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or death in dogs.
6 more things that can make your Morkie very sick
- alcohol of any kind – wine, beer, liquor
- grapes and raisins – experts don’t really know why, just that only a couple of grapes or raisins can lead to seizures, coma and death
- Macadamia nuts can bring on vomiting, tremors, joint pain and diarrhea. They’re extremely toxic for dogs.
- Garlic and onions are surprisingly toxic to dogs and cats. That’s because they contain chemicals that damage red blood cells in some animals, to the point where the cells can’t carry oxygen throughout the body. Cooking these foods does not make them any safer.
- Avocado, especially the pit, will bring on severe diarrhea and vomiting in your Morkie.
- Cellophane, ribbons and glittery stuff that chocolates and gifts are wrapped in, can get lodged in your dog’s intestine, making expensive emergency surgery necessary to save his life. Keep all wrappings out of harm’s way.
Hot cars are not the only danger for dogs in the summer. Another one you might not think of, is hot BBQ grills.
Smelling something tasty, dogs of all sizes will sometimes get under the BBQ grill, where they can get hit by hot fat. Or, a heated veggie basket or other cooking utensil gets left on the side table, still burning hot. When your Morkie goes to lick it, he gets a serious burn.
Certain summer foods and plants are deadly for Morkies
Lots of things we like to eat in the summer can make your Morkie very sick, even deadly ill. These include raisins and grapes. Experts don’t know exactly why, but it seems there is something in grapes that can make them highly toxic. it could be the pesticide used on grapes, fungal infections in the fruit or some mysterious chemical reaction. It is interesting that reports of illness after eating grapes or raisins didn’t hit the radar at places like the ASPCA until 2001. So were grapes safer in 90s? We don’t know, but given the deadly side effects some dogs can experience, it’s not worth experimenting to find out.
Not every dog is affected by grapes and raisins the same way. Some might get into grapes or raisins and be fine, but don’t risk it.
Help! My Morkie ate some raisins
As few as 7 grapes or raisins can be fatal for your small dog. If your Morkie has ingested one or more in the past 2 hours, the best thing you can do in this case, is get your Morkie to vomit. Right away. But how?
Assemble and keep a dog poisoning kit. To get your Morkie to vomit, you will need:
- a fresh bottle of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, available at any drugstore
- measuring spoons
- a small bowl for mixing
- a turkey baster
- these instructions printed out
- your Veterinarian’s name and phone number
- the number for your local animal poison control centre, also printed out
DOWNLOAD A PRINTABLE SHEET HERE
More foods to avoid
Medical or not, your dog should never ingest marijuana or food with marijuana in it. Dogs react very differently.
- milk – not poisonous exactly but can lead to diarrhea and vomiting
- alcohol including beer, wine and hard liquor
- fatty meats or trimming from meat – can cause pancreatitis
- bacon, ham
Remember always provide plenty of cold water, shade outdoors.
Never, ever leave your Morkie in a parked car.