Tick season is far from over.
If you have a small dog, did you know that you face a real conundrum when it comes to protecting that little guy from parasites like ticks? Ticks on dogs aren’t as bad as tick treatment for small dogs!
Here’s the conundrum: Ticks pose unique and serious dangers for small dogs when bitten by a tick, the carrier of disease and germs.
Fighting off ticks the traditional way, with flea and tick medicine, spot treatments or spot-on treatments, is very dangerous for small dogs. So what can you do?
Why are ticks dangerous?
These nasty little creatures carry at least 15 common diseases, including Rocky Mountain fever, Lyme disease. They also spread other infections, bacteria and diseases.
Ticks are hard to treat and control. They have the tenacity of cockroaches. Some types can live for more than a year without a meal. They can wait on a small branch or stem for up to six months for a victim to walk by. Then they latch on and start their “blood fest.”
Before and after feeding
Female ticks engorge themselves on their victim’s blood until they look like a horrible greenish grape. They can consume more than 100 times their weight in blood!! Then they start laying their eggs, up to 3,000 at a time.
Just some of the dangers small dogs face include:
- Diseases – ticks carry more than a thousand and more are being discovered every year
- Infections from the tick’s bacteria filled bite
- Allergic Relations – which can be life threatening for a tiny dog
- Blood Loss – sounds crazy but a number of bites can actually lead to anemia in a small dog
Flea and tick medicine is WORSE than ticks!
The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) assigns risk levels to all pesticides for their potential dangers to humans — most flea and tick products contain chemicals that are, in their words, “likely to be carcinogenic to humans.” So imagine how bad they are for a tiny pet!
They’ve also reported that the spot-on flea and tick medications are particularly poisonous. Reactions range from mild skin irritation to seizures and death. And the worst reactions were found in dogs under 20 pounds.
ALL commercially created products can be deadly for your Morkie – From tick powders, to collars, medications and spot-on products. Even vaccinations. Starting spot-on tick treatment? Beware!
Think carefully before you get your Morkie treated against ticks and fleas
There are other ways to protect your dog; a careful program of getting them out of your immediate environment, avoiding places where they live, and being vigilant about checking for any ticks and safely removing them.
Please explore all the options; your Morkie will thank you.
Want to learn more?
In my e-book, available on Amazon for Kindle, you’ll read about a 3-part program that can protect your small dog, without relying on deadly spot-on products, collars, powders, sprays or vaccinations. It’s solid protection, without the deadly risk.
1. BANISH TICKS from your home and yard, and avoid places where they hang out
2. SPOT & REMOVE any ticks from your dog and watch the bite area carefully. Check him every time he comes inside.
3. TEST ANNUALLY for tick-born diseases at your Veterinarian’s.