Can dogs eat grapes? No, and scientists don’t even know why. We just know that grapes – and raisins – can be highly toxic for all dogs, especially small dogs.

We know chocolate is really bad for dogs but did you know that grapes can be a killer? I knew they could be a choking hazard or that the pesticides used on grapes could be bad but it’s more than that. Grapes contain something that can be very toxic to dogs.

HALLOWEEN HAZARD!

Sun Maid raisins are a hazard for dogs

Tiny boxes of raisins can be tempting – and dangerous – for dogs.

For a small dog like a Morkie, eating as few as six grapes can be deadly!  That goes for raisins too.

The AKC (American Kennel Club warns:

Grapes and raisins are known to be highly toxic to dogs, though research has yet to pinpoint exactly which substance in the fruit causes this reaction. Because of that, peeled or seedless grapes should also be avoided.

Symptoms of Grape Poisoning

Watch for these signs that your Morkie may have eaten grapes or raisins:

  • the dog becomes extremely hyper and jittery
  • vomiting, diarrhea, shaking and stomach pains
  • the dog who’s eaten grapes soon stops urinating
  • very lethargic.

Coma and even death can follow.

If you think your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, here are the steps to follow:

  1. Make the dog vomit. You can do this by giving him a solution of equal parts water and hydrogen peroxide.  About 1 tablespoon of each is enough for a Morkie-size dog.  Administer up to three times.
  2.  If that doesn’t work you can also give your dog activated charcoal if you happen to have it.
  3. Get your dog to the vet immediately. Take someone with you to call while you’re on your way.

Keep a poisoning kit on hand for your Morkie

Other types of poisoning – and the symptoms

Watch for long-term signs of kidney failure

“In both small and large dogs of all breeds, the ill effects include kidney disease and even kidney failure. Common symptoms of this include irregular eating and drinking habits: Affected dogs often lose their appetites and begin to drink excessively.”

– aspengrovevet.com

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)