Grapes? Raisins? Noooooo!grapes copy

Scientists aren’t sure WHY, but they do advise that both can be poisonous to your Morkie (or any dog). Since Morkies are so small, even a couple can make him very sick or worse.

Why can’t my Morkie eat grapes?

Grapes and raisins contain a chemical that can cause kidney failure in dogs. Within just 12 hours of eating either one, your Morkie can experience vomiting, lethargy or diarrhea. While some dogs are fine with grapes and raisins, others get deathly ill so it’s not worth the risk of course.

Other bad people food for Morkies

Along with grapes, other people food to avoid includes:

  • alcohol of any kind
  • anything mouldy
  • avocado – contains persin which can be bad for dogs
  • bread dough
  • caffeine – of any kind. Tea, coffee, other soft drinks like Mountain Dew, energy drinks and cola and even chocolate
  • chocolate – the darker, the more poisonous to dogs
  • fatty meat scraps and bones – too much fat can trigger pancreatitis … see my recent blog on this disease
  • macadamia nuts – as few as six raw or roasted macadamias can make your Morkie very ill
  • milk and other dairy products – not necessarily dangerous but milk products will probably give your Morkie serious diarrhea
  • onions and garlic – a little occasionally might be ok but generally these two things can cause anemia, weakness, vomiting, reduced interest in food, dullness, and breathlessness
  • peaches, plums – mostly because of the pit, which can block your Morkie’s intestine and lead to a slow death.  Plus, peach and plum pits contain cyanide!
  • Salt – too much salt can make your Morkie sick; he can get dehydrated and too much salt can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature and even seizures
  • Xylitol (the a non-caloric sweetener widely used in sugar-free gum and candy)

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)