1. brush – ideally daily, but at least every other day
2. spray – use one of the new ‘plaque sprays’ or dental gels for dogs
3. feed RAW bones, like chicken wings
4. go pro – get his teeth cleaned at the Vet’s when necessary
If you just ignore proper dog dental care and hygiene, you are literally—
- shortening your Morkie’s life, because the ugly bacteria of dental disease eventually can make its way into the blood stream, where it causes permanent damage to vital organs like the heart and kidneys
- dog dental disease means sentencing your Morkie to pain and suffering from bad teeth. Pain he can’t even tell you about.
Read more at Dog Dental Care
sprays or gels
Important as brushing is, good dog dental care is more than simply cleaning your dog's teeth!
Look at the progression of dog dental disease!
Ugh, doggy breath!
Little dogs seemed plagued with doggy breath; one reason why is they’re more prone to plaque and tartar build-up on their teeth. Yorkie teeth in particular, are renowned for being bad; they’re too jammed in to the Yorkie’s small jaw, and not well ‘anchored’ in the jaw. It’s possible that a Morkie has the same poor teeth; another reason to watch closely for problems.
Occasional remedies for doggy breath include minty products like YipYap or White Bites. Now and then your Morkie might need some temporary help for really bad doggy breath. These products work but don’t use them to mask more serious causes of doggy breath.
DANGER: NEVER use a product which contains artificial colouring, artificial flavours, alcohol or xylitol. Both are highly toxic for dogs.
Does kibble keep your Morkie’s teeth clean?
As one expert said,
expecting kibble to help clean your dog’s teeth is like people counting on potato chips to clean their teeth.
Do treats work to clean your dog’s teeth?
Greenies, made by the Nutro Company, have been around for about a decade, and are designed to help keep the dog’s (or cat’s) teeth clean through mechanical abrasion.
The company says Greenies are #1 Vet recommended dental chews and are clinically proven to deliver total oral health solutions.
On the plus side:
- they’re chemical-free (100% natural ingredients)
- not too fattening for your Morkie (the mini has 25 calories)
- they have the American Veterinary Dental College seal of approval
On the downside:
- Dental Chews like Dentabone® and Dentastix® are hard for small dogs to digest
- can cause an upset stomach and gas, so limit your Morkie to one every other day at most
Get Greenies today at Amazon.com
Healthy Pets Dental Gel Formula
- 8 Botanicals – Not Just 1 or 2 Like Some Other Products
- Synthetic Vitamin Supplements
Grapefruit seed extract and peppermint oil are just two ingredients in this top-rated Dental Gel. The 8 main ingredients in this peppermint-flavoured Healthy Pets Dental Gel are designed to work together to help keep teeth clean.
All ingredients are:
- Plant-based and 100% natural
- Safe without potential adverse effects for both cats and dogs
- Effective at cleaning teeth, even without brushing
Easy to use.
Just squeeze the recommended amount onto your fingertip. For a small size dog like a Morkie, that’s less than a fourth of a teaspoon.
If your Morkie will allow you to open his mouth, simply smear the gel over his teeth and gums. If not, place the gel on his lips, paw, or muzzle, and he’ll lick it off. The more he licks, the more it will mix with his saliva and coat his teeth and gums.
When smearing the gel on your dog’s teeth, focus on the back molars first. Especially with cats, this is where most of the dirt accumulates. Move to the pre-molars, canines, and then the incisors.
Order your Healthy Pets Dental Gel with Herbal Extracts today and know you may be making a great decision for your Morkie.