Yesterday we looked at how to bathe your Morkie; now let’s explore the best (and worst) shampoos for your little dog.
First, how often should I bathe my Morkie?
If you’re combing your dog regularly, bathing isn’t necessary more than every two or three months. The ASPCA recommends bathing your dog once every three months. Your pet may require more frequent baths if she spends a lot of time outdoors, but as the ASPCA points out, most of us bathe our dogs too often.
However if your Morkie has a coat that’s more Yorkie-like, she may have the more oily skin and hair of the Yorkshire Terrier, and more dander. In that case, you can get a special dander-reducing shampoo for dogs from your pet store or ask your Vet about using something stronger like human-grade dandruff treatment. It contains sulphur or salicylic acid. You leave it on for about 5 minutes before rinsing. Usually these treatments are repeated every week or every two weeks until the dander is under control.
Generally, never bathe your dog more often than every 6 weeks.
Too much washing will actually harm your dog’s coat and skin rather than make it healthy – your Morkie’s skin can get very dry and flakey, and his coat can go dull when the natural oils are washed away.
Can you use human shampoo on dogs?
This is a question I hear quite often and the short answer is NO. Although it’s ok to use it now and then if you’ve run out of dog shampoo, real dog shampoo matches a dog’s natural PH levels. A dog’s skin has a pH balance of 7.5, versus our skin, which has a pH balance of 5.5.
It may not seem like much of a difference, but our shampoo is just not designed to clean a dog’s more alkaline skin. If you have to use people shampoo, be sure and dilute it with plenty of water before applying to your Morkie’s coat.
Plus, since people have skin that is 3X thicker than a dog’s skin, people shampoo is much stronger and will be harsh on your dog’s skin.
The only exception is a tiny bit of baby shampoo to use on your Morkie’s face if it’s exceptionally dirty… otherwise just rinse the face area with water. Don’t use the dog shampoo around their mouth or eyes.
Which TYPE of dog shampoo to pick?
There are at least 7 different kinds of dog shampoo:
- Medicated shampoo – for dogs with skin allergies
- Flea and tick shampoo – contains insecticides to kill the bugs
- Natural shampoo with essential oils – to control ticks and fleas
- Oatmeal shampoo – for dogs with especially dry and sensitive skin
- Sulphur shampoos – for dandruff, available over-the-counter at pet stores
- Dry powder shampoo – for in between big baths
- Waterless shampoo – usually a foam product
Match the type to what you need and always opt for the more gentle versions, for sensitive skin. And wherever possible, go for organic or all-natural, to avoid unnecessary chemicals.
Some good brands
Natural shampoo with essential oils; chemical Free – No Pyrethrins or Permethrins. Contains Cinnamon Oil, Cedar Wood Oil, Clove Oil and Vanillin. Also contains Colloidal Oatmeal to moisturize, nourish and revitalize dry skin & coat. Kills and repels fleas & ticks – effective on black flies and mosquitoes too! Available at Amazon.com for $7.99
- Totally natural pet care, 100-percent bio-degradable and cruelty free
- Soap-free shampoo
- Safe, gentle and effective
- Available at Amazon.com for $8.99
- formulated to make your pet’s skin and coat beautiful and healthy. It takes care of coat from roots to tips promoting overall wellness of skin and coat, removing bacteria and adding strength and shine. Vet recommended
- Contains NATURAL INGREDIENTS (oatmeal and neem) that soothe, moisturize, and sanitize skin; relieves irritation associated with insect bites. It also nourishes dog’s coat to be thicker, shinier, and healthier looking. Soap, detergent, and alcohol FREE. The product is made of natural ingredients in the USA. It is also bio degradable and comes in a recyclable bottle. Good for the planet!
- EASY TO FOAM AND RINSE making the washing process easier and faster and more enjoyable for both dogs and their owners.
- Available at Amazon.com for $14.95
- Lavender and Chamomile Scent
- No-Rinse Waterless Shampoo
- 100 Percent Natural
- Available at Amazon.com for $5.97
TOMORROW: Make your own dog shampoos
WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT GROOMING YOUR MORKIE?
Wish your Morkie had a long, flowing coat?
In this brand new, 80 page ebook, you’ll learn just how easy it can be to groom your Morkie yourself, at home, and keep his coat long and luxurious.
Available at Amazon
Read it on your Kindle, smart phone or pad