Here’s the last in the series… how many CALORIES your Morkie, Yorkie or Maltese needs a day.
How many calories a day does my Morkie need?
It’s a complex question, depending on the dog’s health, environment, age, exercise level and other factors including RER or what scientists call “Resting Energy Requirements.”
Always check with your Vet, but as a rule of thumb, for a healthy ADULT Morkie who gets moderate exercise you can use this formula:
- divide his ideal weight (in pounds) by 2.2 to convert pounds to kilograms;
- then multiply that number by 30;
- add 70 for the number of calories your Morkie needs per day, plus….
THEN… apply the appropriate MULTIPLIER
- for typical neutered dogs – 1.6
- for unneutered dogs – 1.8
- to lose weight – 1
- for weight gain – 1.7
- if less than 4 months old – 3
So for a 4 lb. spayed Morkie –
- part 1 is (4 / 2.2) x 30 + 70 = 125 calories
- part 2 is 125 x 1.6 = 199 calories a day