From tiny Yorkshire Terriers to huge Bernese Mountain Dogs and everything in between… dogs have never been very fussy about what they’ll eat, especially if they are outside and exploring. Let’s face it, they all started as hunters and scavengers!
That’s why we have to be extra careful around the house….Besides people medications, other poisons around the home include common houseplants.
Azaleas and rhododendrons – may cause vomiting, diarrhea, coma, and potentially even death.
Tulips and daffodils – may cause serious stomach problems, convulsions, and damage to the heart.
Sago palms – just a few seeds may cause vomiting, seizures, and liver failure.
Elephants ear and Philodendron are popular indoor plants because they thrive without much care. But they’re very poisonous to dogs.
Other very common house and office plants include variations of the corn plant, the dracaena and the yucca.
Symptoms of poisoning
No matter what the source of poison, these symptoms are almost always in play: vomiting, bloody diarrhea and seizures. Some plants can also cause lethargy, bruising and loss of appetite when ingested.
The 17 most poisonous plants for dogs
Here are the most dangerous plants for your dog:
- Sago Palm
- Tulip/Narcissus bulbs
- Castor Bean
- Autumn Crocus
- English Ivy
- Peace Lily (AKA Mauna Loa Peace Lily)
For a full list of plants that are poisonous to dogs, visit the ASPCA’s poisoning pages – the list is over 20 pages long, and has links to show pictures of the plants in case you don’t recognize all the names.
Click to download how to make an anti-poisoning kit at home and keep it handy.
DO NOT MAKE YOUR MORKIE VOMIT IF –
- your dog is unconscious or is having trouble breathing
- he is exhibiting signs of serious distress or shock
- you suspect he ingested corrosives or caustic — which include:
- strong acids, drain cleaner, bleach, dishwashing machine powder, rat and rodent poison, antifreeze, perfume, mouthwash, or anything made from petroleum products — paint thinner, paint.