The ASPCA has made a list of some precautionary pet safety tips for all pet parents to heed so that there are no scaredy cats this Halloween.
1. No tricks, no treats: That bowlful of candy is for trick-or-treaters, not for Scruffy and Fluffy.
Chocolate in all forms—especially dark or baking chocolate—can be very dangerous for dogs and cats. If your Morkie is suddenly vomiting or showing signs of hyperactivity, increased thirst and urination, be sure he hasn’t eaten any chocolate. If he has, CONTACT YOUR VET OR POISON CONTROL CENTER right away.
Candies that are artificially sweetened usually contain xylitol which is also poisonous to dogs. Even small amounts of xylitol sweetener can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, which leads to depression, lack of coordination and seizures. In cases of significantly low blood sugar, liver failure has been known to occur.
Eating even a bit of tin foil or cellophane wrappers can pose a choking hazard or cause intestinal blockage.
2. Beware Popular Halloween plants!
Plants like pumpkins and decorative corn are considered to be relatively nontoxic – but if your Morkie chews on them at all, digestive woes will probably follow. [Canned, pure pumpkin, on the other hand, is very good for your Morkie – a tablespoon per day can ease both diarrhea AND constipation!]
3. Keep wires and cords from electric lights and other decorations out of reach of your pets.
Yikes! Your Morkie could damage his mouth from shards of glass or plastic, or get a possibly life-threatening electrical zap.
4. Use a battery powered candle in your pumpkin.
Even small dogs like Morkies can easily knock a lit pumpkin over and cause a fire. Curious kittens especially run the risk of getting burned or singed by candle flames.
5. Dress-up can be a big mess-up for some pets.
The ASPCA says: “Please don’t put your dog or cat in a costume UNLESS you know he or she loves it (yup, a few pets are real hams!). For pets who prefer their “birthday suits,” however, wearing a costume can cause undue stress.”