Poisonous to dogs!
It’s obvious that some things could poison and sicken your Morkie — cleaning chemicals, rat poison, and insecticides among others. But there’s lots more than can be harmful too. Dogs don’t process what they eat the same way that we do, so NSAID pain relievers, for example, are very toxic. So are avocados. Grapes and raisins can make some dogs very ill, but not others. Here’s a full list plus a button to DOWNLOAD A PRINTABLE COPY, below.
Most of these lists have been composed by pet insurance companies based on their most recent claims.
THE BIG THREE
By far, the biggest cause of dog poisoning. Pets can get into our meds, or we may give them something that animals can’t tolerate.
Chocolate, coffee and caffeine
It’s the theobromine and caffeine found in these products. Just a single square of dark Baking Chocolate can kill a Morkie!
Mouse and rat poison
Rodenticides contain lots of toxic chemicals for dogs to get into. They lead to a swift and painful death.
Top Ten Causes of Dog Poisoning
- Medications for people – the three most common, and most lethal, are NSAIDS (aspirin, Motrin, Advil, etc.), antidepressants and Isoniazid, a tuberculosis drug.
- Flea and tick products -overuse of these products on small dogs is a major cause of poisoning.
- People food – the foods most dangerous to dogs are chocolate, alcohol, avocado, macadamia nuts, grapes and raisins, and Xylitol.
- Rat and mouse poison – every year, dogs get into rat poison, eat it, and die.
- Pet medications – dewormers, especially, can be deadly if overused.
6. Household plants – the worst offenders are Azaleas, rhododendrons, tulips, daffodils, and Sago’s palms.
7. Chemicals around the house, such as antifreeze and pool chemicals.
8. Household cleaners, especially bleach.
9. Lead and zinc. Dogs eating paint with lead in it can get very sick and so can dogs who eat pennies, because of the zinc.
10. Fertilizer. Keep lawn and garden products away from your dog.
5 Things Lingering in Your Purse That Could Poison Your Morkie
- Sugarless Gum – Xylitol which replaces the sugar, is highly toxic to dogs.
- Your Medications – dogs can easily chew through the portable containers for Tylenol and the like. Very poisonous.
- Asthma inhalers – if they’re accidentally chewed and punctured, asthma inhalers can cause severe, life-threatening, acute poisoning.
- Cigarettes – as few as three cigarettes can be fatal to a small dog thanks to the nicotine. Stop-smoking gum is just as bad.
- Hand sanitizer – its high concentrations of alcohol (ethanol) are like a full shot for a dog – lethal.
Symptoms of Poisoning
- Fast heart rate
- Excessive bruising or bleeding
- Pale Gums
- Unsteady on feet
- Trouble breathing
- Coughing Blood
- Weakness or lethargy
- Black tarry stool
If your Morkie has any of these symptoms, seek medical help immediately!
People Foods That Are Bad for Dogs
- Bacon And Fatty Meat
- Salty Foods
- Garlic And Onions
- Milk, Cheese, Ice Cream, And Other Dairy Products
- Raw Meat, Fish, And Eggs
- Candy, Gum, Peanut Butter, and Baked Goods
- Grapes And Raisins
- Sugary Food
7 Foods that cause the most pet deaths
- Chocolate, coffee, and caffeine
- Onions, chives, garlic, and leeks
- Grapes and their dried products (raisins, sultanas, and currants)
- Macadamia nuts
Plants that are toxic for dogs
Lily of the Valley
Lillies of all kinds (Tiger,Day, Easter, Calla)
Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena)
Tulips and Hyacinths