Our new website is ready!

Our new website is ready!

Hope you enjoy this new site…. we’ve added more content for you, and much larger pictures.

Some of your favourite pages are easier to find than ever:

And guess who has a MORKIE!??

singer Drake

 

Here’s Drake in Toronto with his new Morkie. Left, the Morkie breeder. (Sorry we didn’t get her name)

 

See the other celeb pups here.

And a whole new album of Morkie puppies.

Do you have a picture you’d like to share? Please send it along! Just email to [email protected]

 

How big will your puppy get?

morkie worksheet

A lot of people have been asking this lately, so there’s a page dedicated to the subject, including a worksheet you can download and use to figure it out.

Not an exact science, but this should be helpful.

(And did you know that one of the parent dogs, the Yorkie, used to be a lot bigger?  Check it out.)

 

 

 

Feedback? Comments? Kudos?

Please share your thoughts on the new site, and anything you’d like to see that we’ve missed…  here’s the contact form.

 

Phew, time to take a rest!

 

Yorkshire Terrier on pillow

Happy Morkie Valentine’s Day!

Happy Morkie Valentine’s Day!

Happy Valentine’s Day Morkie fans! A couple of reminders for the day to keep your Morkie safe….

Chocolate can literally kill your Morkie!

It’s the Theobromine in chocolate that can poison your Morkie.  The darker the chocolate, the more deadly. Just a single square of Baker’s Chocolate can be enough to cause serious illness and even death, according to Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine.

Typical early symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, bloated stomach and restlessness. This usually happens 1 to 4 hours after the dog has eaten chocolate. Without treatment, seizures and muscle spasms follow, then cardiac failure (coma) and death. If you suspect your Morkie has had chocolate, get him to the Vet or emergency clinic right away.

 

 

Dogs can’t eat candy

 

Morkies are sweet enough! Even if the candy doesn’t have chocolate in it, high levels of sugar can send your Morkie into a mild diabetic coma. Plus, getting him used to sweet treats sets the stage for annoying begging, tooth decay and overweight. Remember, no Porkie Morkies 🙂

 

Artificial sweetener can be deadly for dogs

Xylitol is a next-generation sweetener that is in a lot of foods and treats. And it’s very toxic for pets. Although Xylitol is found naturally in berries, plums, etc. even small amounts of Xylitol in the manufactured form, can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or death in dogs.

 

 

6 more things that can make your Morkie very sick

  1. alcohol of any kind – wine, beer, liquor
  2. grapes and raisins – experts don’t really know why, just that only a couple of grapes or raisins can lead to seizures, coma and death
  3. Macadamia nuts can bring on vomiting, tremors, joint pain and diarrhea. They’re extremely toxic for dogs.
  4. Garlic and onions are surprisingly toxic to dogs and cats. That’s because they contain chemicals that damage red blood cells in some animals, to the point where the cells can’t carry oxygen throughout the body. Cooking these foods does not make them any safer.
  5. Avocado, especially the pit, will bring on severe diarrhea and vomiting in your Morkie.
  6. Cellophane, ribbons and glittery stuff that chocolates and gifts are wrapped in, can get lodged in your dog’s intestine, making expensive emergency surgery necessary to save his life. Keep all wrappings out of harm’s way.
Summer Dangers Part 1: cookouts and parties

Summer Dangers Part 1: cookouts and parties

Hot cars are not the only danger for dogs in the summer. Another one you might not think of, is hot BBQ grills.

Smelling something tasty, dogs of all sizes will sometimes get under the BBQ grill, where they can get hit by hot fat. Or, a heated veggie basket or other cooking utensil gets left on the side table, still burning hot. When your Morkie goes to lick it, he gets a serious burn.

 

Certain summer foods and plants are deadly for Morkies

Lots of things we like to eat in the summer can make your Morkie very sick, even deadly ill. These include raisins and grapes. Experts don’t know exactly why, but it seems there is something in grapes that can make them highly toxic. it could be the pesticide used on grapes, fungal infections in the fruit or some mysterious chemical reaction.  It is interesting that reports of illness after eating grapes or raisins didn’t hit the radar at places like the ASPCA until 2001. So were grapes safer in 90s? We don’t know, but given the deadly side effects some dogs can experience, it’s not worth experimenting to find out.

Not every dog is affected by grapes and raisins the same way. Some might get into grapes or raisins and be fine, but don’t risk it.

 

Help! My Morkie ate some raisins

dog poisoning

As few as 7 grapes or raisins can be fatal for your small dog. If your Morkie has ingested one or more in the past 2 hours, the best thing you can do in this case, is get your Morkie to vomit. Right away. But how?

 

Assemble and keep a dog poisoning kit. To get your Morkie to vomit, you will need:

  • a fresh bottle of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, available at any drugstore
  • measuring spoons
  • a small bowl for mixing
  • a turkey baster
  • eyedropper
  • these instructions printed out
  • your Veterinarian’s name and phone number
  • the number for your local animal poison control centre, also printed out

 

DOWNLOAD A PRINTABLE SHEET HERE

[wpdm_package id=’8958′]

 

More foods to avoid

  • avocados

    marijuana leaf

    Medical or not, your dog should never ingest marijuana or food with marijuana in it. Dogs react very differently.

  • garlic
  • milk – not poisonous exactly but can lead to diarrhea and vomiting
  • onion
  • chocolate
  • alcohol including beer, wine and hard liquor
  • fatty meats or trimming from meat – can cause pancreatitis
  • bacon, ham

Remember always provide plenty of cold water, shade outdoors.

Never, ever leave your Morkie in a parked car.

 

Can dogs eat grapes?

Can dogs eat grapes?

 

about Morkies feature pic size.pagesGrapes? Raisins? Noooooo!

Scientists aren’t sure WHY, but they do advise that both can be poisonous to your Morkie (or any dog). Since Morkies are so small, even a couple can make him very sick or worse.

Why can’t my Morkie eat grapes?

Grapes and raisins contain a chemical that can cause kidney failure in dogs. Within just 12 hours of eating either one, your Morkie can experience vomiting, lethargy or diarrhea. While some dogs are fine with grapes and raisins, others get deathly ill so it’s not worth the risk of course.

Other bad people food for Morkies

Along with grapes, other people food to avoid includes:

  • alcohol of any kind
  • anything mouldy
  • avocado – contains persin which can be bad for dogs
  • bread dough
  • caffeine – of any kind. Tea, coffee, other soft drinks like Mountain Dew, energy drinks and cola and even chocolate
  • chocolate – the darker, the more poisonous to dogs
  • fatty meat scraps and bones – too much fat can trigger pancreatitis … see my recent blog on this disease
  • macadamia nuts – as few as six raw or roasted macadamias can make your Morkie very ill
  • milk and other dairy products – not necessarily dangerous but milk products will probably give your Morkie serious diarrhea
  • onions and garlic – a little occasionally might be ok but generally these two things can cause anemia, weakness, vomiting, reduced interest in food, dullness, and breathlessness
  • peaches, plums – mostly because of the pit, which can block your Morkie’s intestine and lead to a slow death.  Plus, peach and plum pits contain cyanide!
  • Salt – too much salt can make your Morkie sick; he can get dehydrated and too much salt can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature and even seizures
  • Xylitol (the a non-caloric sweetener widely used in sugar-free gum and candy)

To read more about what you should feed your Morkie, check out the Complete Guide to Feeding your Morkie my downloadable e-book here.feeding-on-reader-with-price

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)