Killer Grapes! Just 6 can kill your small dog!

Killer Grapes! Just 6 can kill your small dog!

Table_grapes_on_white

Killers – just a few grapes can seriously poison or even kill your dog!

We know chocolate is really bad for dogs but did you know that grapes can be a killer? I thought they’d just be a choking hazard or that the pesticides used on grapes could be bad for the dog.

For small dog like a Morkie, eating as few as six grapes can be deadly!  That goes for raisins too.

Scientists don’t know exactly what the chemicals or cause is, but we do know that grapes and raisins can cause rapid renal failure (kidney failure).

Symptoms of Grape Poisoning

The symptoms are fairly sudden and unpleasant. First the dog is extremely hyper and jittery.  These symptoms change over the next few hours to vomiting, diarrhea, shaking and stomach pains.  The dog who’s eaten grapes soon stops urinating and gets very, very lethargic. Finally, coma and even death can follow.

If you think your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, here are the steps to follow:

  1. Make the dog vomit. You can do this by giving him a solution of equal parts water and hydrogen peroxide.  About 1 tablespoon of each is enough for a Morkie-size dog.  Administer up to three times.
  2.  If that doesn’t work you can also give your dog activated charcoal if you happen to have it. (An excellent idea to keep this around – you can get it at any drugstore in tablet form.)  None handy?  You can make your own quick version by double-burning a piece of toast. The charcoal in the toast or any other burned food quickly absorbs poisons and toxins in the body.  Getting your dog to eat this burnt toast, however, is another problem.
  3. Get your dog to the vet immediately. Take someone with you to call while you’re on your way.
about Morkies feature pic size.pages

The only kind of grape your dog should go near… and only if you’re watching it doesn’t get chewed up!