Dog fans are looking forward to seeing 3 “new” breeds being introduced at the 138th running of the Westminster Kennel Club dog show. This meet is held at Madison Square Garden, in New York City today and tomorrow.
The Club is recognizing three new breeds this year: the scrappy Rat Terrier (Terrier Group); the Chinook (Working Group); and the Portuguese Podengo Pequeno (Hound Group)
photo credits: Rat Terrier: from wikipedia; Chinook: from wikipedia; Portugese Podengo Pequeno: from wikipedia.
Westminster by the numbers:
- dogs entered: 2,845
- breeds and varieties: 190
- countries of origin: 50
- date of the first Westminster show: May 8, 1877
- cost of admission ticket: $27.50
- number of Labrador Retrievers who will compete in their breed category: 76
- most winning breed – measured by Best in Show for the past 100 years: the Fox Terrier (Wire)
In the Toy Group, watch for the Maltese: 21 competing this year; and the Yorkshire Terrier: 32 (Morkies? none…. yet!)
Read more and watch live streaming: Westminster Kennel Club or see the broadcasts live on CNBC.