Two big dangers for Morkies at Easter

Two big dangers for Morkies at Easter

Bosley the Labradoodle is lucky he wasn’t sicker than he was after eating 4 big chocolate Easter Eggs.

Bosley the Labradoodle is lucky to be alive. Yesterday when the family was out, he got into the closet where Easter treats were stashed. And he ate four chocolate eggs.

Luckily the owners arrived home minutes later and acted quickly.

Susanna started to put together a concoction to make Bosley throw up while the dad, David, called the Emergency Vet line.

 

Need to make your dog throw up?

Just mix one part of water to one part 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. Give your dog one teaspoon (5 ml) per 10 pounds of body weight.

If he hasn’t thrown up after a couple of minutes, repeat, up to three times in total. An eye dropper can help you get the solution right back into his mouth so he swallows it.

Be sure and check some of the restrictions here.

Why is chocolate so bad for dogs?

Chocolate contains something called Theobromine. Scientists don’t know exactly why, but it makes dogs very sick. The better the chocolate, the darker it is, and the worse it can be for your dog.  

Similar to caffeine and nicotine in its structure, theobromine is the ingredient in dark chocolates and cocoas that gives it that bitter edge. We humans tolerate it just fine, but it can be deadly for some dogs. 

In fact, just a single square of Baker’s Chocolate square could kill a small dog like a Morkie. 

In the human body, moderate amounts of theobromine give us a real buzz. It widens blood vessels, stimulates the heart, and acts like a diuretic. But in larger quantities, theobromine isn’t quite so medicinal. (It would take about 1,900 miniature Hershey’s chocolate bars to off a small person according to Science Alert.)

So, dogs can't eat chocolate?

What makes chocolate so dangerous for dogs?

Different Levels of Danger

Ironically our desire to ‘eat healthy’ with DARK chocolate makes it worse since dark chocolate contains more theobromine than regular chocolate.  All chocolate also contains caffeine, which is very bad for dogs, but the theobromine is the biggest culprit. 

Read more Easter Safety Tips for your pets and keep your Morkie safe.

After chocolate, the second danger?

Running away.

The second big danger at Easter, or any other holiday entertaining time, is your Morkie getting out and running away.

Holidays often bring more noise and commotion, new people in your home and the front door opening and closing lots. It’s the perfect chance for your little dog to slip out the door and run away. You might not even notice your Morkie is gone at first.

If your Morkie does run off, don’t panic. Take someone else with you and methodically walk your neighborhood, while another person watches the phone. 

Read more: https://www.aboutmorkies.com/holiday-season-safety-tips-for-your-morkie/

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)