There are two big dangers for small dogs like Morkies, Yorkies and Maltese around Easter — the first danger is chocolate. The second danger is the chance of your Morkie running away.
You know dogs shouldn’t eat chocolate but do you know just how deadly it is? I was shocked to read that just 1 ounce of Baker’s Chocolate can kill a small dog like a Morkie!
And ironically our desire to ‘eat healthy’ with DARK chocolate makes it worse, since dark chocolate contains more theobromine than regular chocolate. All chocolate also contains caffeine, which is very bad for dogs, but the theobromine is the biggest culprit.
What to do if your Morkie has eaten chocolate?
Since chocolate isn’t caustic, you need to get your Morkie to vomit as quickly as possible. There are two ways to do this:
- with hydrogen peroxide mixed with water – about half a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide plus 2 tablespoons of water. You can use an eye dropper to force this down. Repeat twice, but no more.
- mix salt with water and again, get it into your Morkie. Dilute 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a tablespoon of water and use a dropper or whatever you have to, to get your Morkie to drink it down.
The second big danger at Easter, or any other holiday entertaining time, is your Morkie getting out and running away.
There’s often more noise and commotion, sometimes new people in your home and the front door opening and closing lots. You might not even notice your Morkie is gone at first.
If your Morkie does run off, don’t panic. Take someone else with you and methodically walk your neighbourhood, while another person watches the phone. Chances are your Morkie was just looking for a little peace and quiet — or maybe an adventure!